The Villa

About Alhaurin el Grande

Activities

Prices

Availability

Weather

Flights, car hire

Map

From Alhaurín there is a lovely view over the "Hoya de Málaga" - Malaga's vale, full of lemon trees and other fruit trees, which together looks like a vast carpet.

Almost all the town streets are narrow and winding. The Town Hall and the church of the Vera Santa Cruz, are located in this square.

Fiestas of the area - As always in this region, Semana Santa (Holy Week) is celebrated with gusto. Other important fiestas are Corpus Christ, the Dia de la Virgen de Gracia on August 15th, and the feasts of San José and San Sebastián.       

  Alhaurin Town HallArchaeological remains of a Roman settlement have been found near Alhaurin, belonging to the time of Probo and Diocleciano emperors

In 1487, when the town was conquered by the Christian Monarchs, the name of the town was Laurín, and from then onward it was known as Alhaurín el Grande.

Alhaurín was tax-exempt and was a royal village under the Malaga jurisdiction. The neighbours of Alhaurín bought the freedom of the town and the title of Villa for four and a half million silver maravedis, but due to its very bad administration the king ordered the town to submit itself to the jurisdiction of Coin. This order was not accepted by the neighbours and there were many and serious disputes.

Its most important monuments are the parish church of Our Lady of Grace, patron saint of the town, built upon the rest of an Arab fortress, and the hermitage of Saint Anton.